Madd Al-Laazim مد اللازم
- As we discussed before in the intro section, sukoon (٥) is divided into two categories as permanent and temporary. Here, we deal with a permanent Sukoon. Let’s remember what it is: Permanent Sukoon: This type of sukoon is fixed and pronounced regardless if one stops or continues while reading a verse from Qur’an, visible on the letters not only in the form sukoon (٥) but also shaddah ( ّ ). (Hint: each shaddah contains a sukoon).
- If a permanent sukoon appears after a letter of Madd in a way that sukoon itself cannot be separated from the word, then this is Madd Al-Laazim. In other words, for Madd Al-Laazim to occur, one of the Madd letters and an original sukoon must appear together in the same word.
- There are 4 types of Madd Al-Laazim: 1) Kalima Al-Muthaqqal 2) Kalima Al-Mukhaffaf 3) Harf Al-Muthaqqal 4) Harf Al-Mukhaffaf.
- Madd Al-Laazim-Kalima-i Muthaqqal (Heavy word) occurs when the letter of Madd is followed by a shaddah.
- Madd Al-Laazim-Kalima-i Mukhaffaf happens when the reason for madd is not in the form of shaddah but in the form of sukoon. There is only one case in the entire Qur’an which is in Surah Al-Yûnus verses 59 and 91.
- Harf al-Muthaqqal and Harf al-Mukhaffaf occur in Huroof Al-Muqatta’at which will be covered later on this page. Please see below!
- In these cases, reciters are required to elongate Madd four times more than natural mad (or 4 musical notes).
- The application of Madd Al-Laazim is Waajib, so we call it Madd Al-Waajib.
- In these Madd Al-Laazim examples below, please pay attention to red-colored symbols that indicate elongation in these words from Qur’an.
- In each example, as you see, there is a harf al-mad followed by a shaddah which is the reason for prolonging. Again, when the reason is sukoon al-laazim, so we call it Madd Al-Laazim. In other words, elongation occurs because of fixed sukoon.
- Also, I recited some of them with the melody to beautify so that you would try imitating my voice.
- Let’s start practicing 😊:
Madd Al-Laazim-Kalima-i Muthaqqala Examples